Monday, October 13, 2014

Monday's Muster #38

Breyer horses today. If you're not familiar with Breyer, they have been making model horses (and occasionally other animals) in various sizes since 1950. Here is a Wikipedia link for more info. They are quite collectible. I don't have many. These are all their "traditional size" (9:1 scale) which is about 9" high.

Up first is Bucephalus; a real horse from history. He was Alexander The Great's horse. His name means "ox head." Here is another Wiki link for you on this actual horse.

This is Comanche. He was one of the U.S. Army animal survivors of the Battle of Little Bighorn. And here is yet another link about him.

This is a real horse too.  A champion Percheron mare.  Big girl!

This is just a Quarter Horse mare, no one famous that I am aware of. My sister's QH gelding had his face in the grass whenever he got the chance too which is why I bought this one. Reminded me of him.

This is "Old-Timer." He was produced from 1966 to 1987. I bought this second hand. I knew he was missing his hat (yes, I said "hat."), but I didn't realize until later the blinkers had been broken off the bridle. :(

Not a Breyer, but I keep this on the same shelf. I bought it at a Wisconsin Dells gift shop over 40 years ago!!

I display these on a high shelf over my craft counter on my back porch. Too high and shaded to get a decent picture of them together so this will have to do.

Enjoy (and don't get eyestrain reading all those links!).

3 comments:

  1. I used to have one of those when I was a kid. It's been long gone. I have no idea what ever happened to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I've never heard of them! Another cute collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love horses so these are a great treat. Thanks for sharing them with us Diane.

    ReplyDelete