Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pinocchio At Christmas

Every Christmas my folks bought us kids a special Christmas ornament.  My mom would cut tiny strips of adhesive tape and write my name and the year on it and adhere it to the back of the ornament.  This glass Pinocchio was my very first; actually my dad bought this one from Marshall Fields (probably) when I was just four months old.  I'm not going to admit to the year, but there's no denying it's definitely vintage today.



I'm amazed those legs and arms are still intact after these, uh, many years.  A couple of my other annual ornaments have some damage, but this guy is tough.

By the way, I now buy an ornament every year for my daughter and write her name and the year on the back.

I'm linking to Mockingbird Hill Cottage to share my favorite Christmas thing.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Diane, I love your Pinnochio ornament!! I can see why he is so very special!! You know what? I do the same thing! My girls have gotten a special ornament with their name and the year written every year as well! There's also a photo ornament of each of them from every year (as you probably noticed when you watched the videos of our CRAZY Baby cat with the Christmas tree!). Needless to say, when we switched to a slim Pine tree this year, I couldn't fit too much more on the tree than all of my girls' special ornaments (since they're now in their 20's!!!). Love that your cat used to steal and hide ornaments! Her own little treasure trove!

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

    Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Love your little pinocchio! (I have one made out of wood.) I have bought/made ornaments for my kids each year, too. It builds memories and a nice collection to start their own first tree with, when that day comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really nice ornament - so cute. Wow, Marshall Fields, there's a name we don't hear anymore. Did he get it at the one in downtown Chicago? My grandma used to take me to The Walnut Room there at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so wonderful Diane that your have something that is so precious and that you are carrying on the tradition with your daughter.

    Merry Christmas,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is adorable and what a wonderful tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Traditions keep the magic of Christmas alive. He looks so handsome on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful tradition to carry on and pass down, so very sweet and lovely. I adore your Pinocchio, so charming.

    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful ornament, Diane! And how precious it must be to you.

    Thanks so much for joining in this week and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good idea to buy ornaments for the children. I think I'll do this too. :-) Merry Christmas. Regula

    ReplyDelete