Friday, July 26, 2013

This Week's Finds

I'm linking to The Thrifty Groove today with some definitely thrifty finds from my local thrift store. Everything pictured cost $1.75 (excluding tax). Even I can afford that. 

I bought the book to go on display in my patriotic bedroom. The scarf is in great condition and a Vera design. The dessert plates were manufactured by Vernon Kilns of California. They look like something my grandparents would have owned. That kitchen prayer plaque is not something I would usually buy, but I have seen them sell on Etsy so why not?


The book looks great in my room.  And here are some recipes I won't be trying: liver dumplings, tongue with raisin sauce, breaded frogs' legs, eel with green sauce... There are some "normal" sounding dishes: potato soup, cherry tart, pancakes in orange sauce, chocolate mousse, but since it's living in my bedroom, I'll probably never think to look at it when I want to try a new dish. Us artists types do impractical things like that for the sake of design.

Have a nice day-- practical or impractical, whichever you prefer!

10 comments:

  1. That's a pretty Vera you found!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll stick with chicken for dinner, thank you very much. lol Fun finds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Vera scarf! I'll stick with plain ole chicken, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have vintage Vera napkins that I framed. Love Vera stuff!

    I actually make liver dumpling soup. I know, sounds gross, but my grandmother used to make it and its really very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good finds!! Love the colors of the Vera.... hmmmm...I've been wondering what to do with the eel...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ll choose impractical, Diane . . . want to go shopping with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great finds! And cheap too! I read cookbooks like novels, so I can understand buying them for the art too. I bet it looks great. No liver for me either. And I keep trying for those practical days, but the other one usually wins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your special finds! And I still have a Kitchen prayer that looks very much like this one. I made it in Vacation Bible school when I was a girl. I don't have many things from my childhood....but I have this! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tongue with raisin sauce or eel with green sauce -- on my! Now I have had frogs' legs -- tastes like chicken!! Those are great finds for $1.75!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you got some real thrifty bargains! I think I would skip some of those recipes too! LOL thank you for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete