Monday, September 22, 2014

Creative Blog Hop

In case you missed the news flash, I was "tagged" by the oh so nice Pat at Corn In My Coffee Pot to participate in the Creative Blog Hop. Thanks, Pat-- I'm honored you thought of me!

My job today is to answer the following four questions:

1. What am I working on right now? Right at this exact second, I'm making some random ATCs. By the time this post "airs," I will be on to something else. I work fairly quickly.

2. Why do I create what I do? Scrapbooking and card making came in to vogue just about the time I became a mother and was also dealing with chronic health issues. Paper art fit into limited time and energy. Up to that point, I was a "fine artist," drawing and painting. Collage type work seemed easier to me; I almost felt like I was cheating (I got over that), plus I really enjoy it. And it was a lot neater to leave a paper project to attend to an infant rather than paints and wet brushes.

3. How does my work differ from others in my genre? I think my work is sort of in between true collage and paper crafts, such as card making. I use a lot of scrapbook paper, unlike most collage, yet use vintage ephemera, unlike a lot of card making. I also work "flat," which is not true of most card and scrapbook projects. I have yet to get into the 3-D embellishments.

4. How does my creative process work? I work in a very simple start to finish manner and am good about finishing things before moving on to something else. Unless I'm making a single piece for a specific occasion or challenge, I make several ATCs, or cards, or tags, etc. at one time. I start with the main image, add a background, then little "extras" to the composition. Lastly, I usually add some sort of ribbon or trim. That can really pull a piece together or conceal a "not cut so straight" edge.

For any first time readers, check my sidebar to see how I came up with the name Lydia's Post. I've never shown the entire "Lydia" photo before. Here it is-- Lydia, the horse, my grandmother inside the wagon, and my great-grandfather (her dad). Wasn't it nice of Lydia to look at the camera?

In keeping with the Creative Blog Hop parameters, I am supposed to tag three more bloggers to follow up with their answers to these questions. Well, folks, I hate to disappoint, but no one I contacted was interested (don't tell the blog hop police on me!). I thought instead I'd share some links to other paper art blogs so you can "hop" over to these.

Tim Holtz Blog

Sunday Postcard Art

Inspiration Avenue

Collage Obsession

Scrapbook.com Gallery

Order of the Opus Gluei

So Artful Challenge

Eclectic Ellapu

Shopping Our Stash

Dragons Dream Tag It On

Thanks for reading today! A little long-winded from my usual posts.

8 comments:

  1. You did a great job, Diane - it was fun to learn some more about you and your hobby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so much fun to read how you tackle your projects! You are SO creative! And thanks for all of the wonderful links! I've never been to any of them. I need more 'time'! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have always been more than a "fine artist". Keep up the good work. I enjoy seeing all the works of art you create.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started stamping before scrapbooking came in. I never got into scrapbooking. You are very creative. Hope you're having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed this! I loved reading about your creative process and how you got into Scrapbooking and card making. I've always enjoyed your work...now I know more about the Diane behind it all!
    Thanks for playing along...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great entry! I wish I could be half as talented as you! But I love looking at all of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post - I enjoyed reading it and learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading your very thoughtful answers. Sure wish I were more disciplined about completing something before I move on to something else. :)

    ReplyDelete