Thursday, May 15, 2014

A "Great" Layout

I'm calling this layout "great" because it features my great-great-aunt and her sister, my great-grandmother.  A nice photo of them talking over the fence way back in or around 1920. I used the Saturday sketch (#2 for May) from Kaisercraft.

I never knew my great-grandmother, she passed away in the 30s. Aunt Nettie lived a long life, but I don't think I ever met her; she lived out of state from my family. An aunt of mine once said of Aunt Nettie: "A lot of people are nice, but she was just so exceptionally nice." Wish I had known her!

I'm assuming these were housedresses (and when is the last time you heard that word?) they are wearing, but they look a little like prison garb, don't you think?

Thanks for reading today! Also linking to Collage Obsession and their open theme this week.

9 comments:

  1. Hah! Looks like a housedress to me, sometimes they weren't too beautiful, were they? So nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As young women, my great aunts made their own clothes and the patterns for them. One aunt could look at a picture of a dress in a magazine and draw patterns to match. Later, when they moved to town, they both worked, so they bought their outfits. And, from what they said and how they laughed, those homemade, useful dresses did not improve in their memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great old picture! Its always fun to see what generations before us wore. It wouldn't be any fun cleaning or gardening in those dress's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom still wears "housedresses." I wear "housesweatpants." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely vintage page. My grandmothers and great grandmother wore dresses like that--until they discovered polyester pantsuits!
    Thanks for playing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Yes, I think women's slacks killed off the housedress.

      Delete
  6. Sweet memories of old age photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful layout and how wonderful to have photos of your 'greats'!

    ReplyDelete