Saturday, January 26, 2013

Siam Sterling

Today I'm linking up to Mockingbird Hill Cottage's "A Favorite Thing" to share a favorite piece of jewelry which is quite a statement coming from me.  I have very little jewelry and hardly ever wear any.  If I am "dressing up," I favor pins and bracelets; this bracelet is my fave.



I even have the original box which is very nice for storage. 

The bracelet belonged to my mother and is probably from the 1950s. It is a piece of Siam Sterling also called "Niello" or "Nielloware."  It was made from the 30s to the 80s, and the figures pictured represent different Ramakien Myth gods (who knew?).

Personally, I like its form more than anything, and it has a cool clasp.  What more could you want?  The truth be told, it is rather pokey and scratchy to wear, but I figure that's a small price to pay for artistic beauty.

I think there are a pair of matching earrings floating around my dad's house.  Neither my sister or I ever wear earrings (and neither does my dad!).

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. What a Treasure!!! I too love the shape and the artistry, and I would be looking for those earrings...just to have the set together. Having the original box is quite exciting...makes for a priceless collectible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely keepsake from your mother. My favorite accessory is a silver bracelet. All the years I worked bracelets and earrings were not comfortable to wear. Now in retirement I love playing “dress-up.” Historical knowledge and the original box makes you piece all the more treasured. Happy weekend, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty - Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Thanks for stopping by and nice comment - I will pass it along to daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one gorgeous bracelet. I can see why it's your favorite.

    You know, I find I wear less and less jewelry as I get older! I have a lot of it, but I never put it on!

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness! My uncle sent a similar bracelet to my mother while he was in the Navy in the 1950s! She gave it to me, and it's definitely one of my favorites because it's so unique. Thanks for the history lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful you have your mom's bracelet! Isn't that fun when you have the original packaging too?! I found my mom's and my grandma's jewelry at my parents and everything seemed to be a set with earrings. Glad you won't have to fight your dad over the earrings ;)

    Happy week to you!

    ReplyDelete