Saturday, December 29, 2012

Fairy's Cherry Chip Bread

A lot of us have one or two favorite recipes that make Christmas "Christmas."  This is mine:

My mom had a friend way back in the 50s named Fairy, and this recipe came from her.  We've tweaked it a bit, omitting the nuts and adding extra chocolate chips-- what can I say?  Every Christmas season my mother (and us kids) made this bread; I've made it every year for decades.  Even talked my husband through making it one year when I was sick!

When the cherries hit the batter, it smells like Christmas to me.

I use these old cans to bake in which might be part of the secret.  I don't think I'd use today's thinner cans.  You can bake it in a square baking dish or those mini loaf pans would probably work well.  You know the question: if your house was on fire, what material things would you save?  These cans would be at the top of my save list.  I also have a copy of this recipe in my fire safe box. I need help!

If I've peaked your culinary curiosity, here is the recipe:

FAIRY'S CHERRY CHIP BREAD
1/2 C margarine (butter is ok too, but I've always used marg)
1 C sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 mashed bananas
2 C flour
1 teas baking soda
1/4 to 1/2 C chocolate chips
1/4 C maraschino cherries, drained and chopped or halved
(chopped nuts was originally in the recipe-- 1/4 C?)

Cream margarine and sugar.  Add eggs and bananas.  If you're "dirty dishes" conscious like I am, you can mash bananas and beat eggs in the same margarine/sugar bowl.  Add chips and cherries, mix.  Add flour and soda, mix well. How easy was that?

Oil sides of cans or grease your baking dish (or loaf pans).  Fill cans halfway full. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Test with cake tester for doneness-- only melted chips should appear.  Top will be quite brown.  Cool 5-10 minutes before removing from cans or mini pans-- if using a large baking dish, you can just leave it. Run a knife around the inside edge of the can and the loaf should slide right out.
  
Cool on a rack or waxed paper.

Store wrapped in fridge.

I usually double the recipe and share loaves with relatives and neighbors.  Everyone loves it!  If you give it a go, I hope you like it too.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds yummy - I'm pinning it to make soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I bet it is delicious. I can almost smell it form here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S.That was supposed to be "from" here, and I pinned it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I made this today and we all LOVED it. The only thing I did different was sprinkle powdered sugar on top after it cooled.

    This just became my new "New Years Eve" tradition. Thanks and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete