Monday, July 16, 2012

Hansel and Gretel?

I've had this toy since about 1970.  It is wooden and has a "made in Poland" sticker on the bottom.  A very sweet aunt of mine gave it to me for a birthday gift.  She worked at a hospital, and my mom thought she might have bought it at their gift shop.






As you can see, it is a "nesting doll" type toy.  Somewhere along the line, someone told me it is probably supposed to be the Hansel and Gretel tale.  What do you think?  And, yes, that is Rhody noodling around in the background.


I also still have the cute fabric covered box (and original interior wrapping paper!) my aunt made as a gift box for the "Hansel and Gretel" toy.  As a kid, this was my "secret box" to hold all kinds of tiny trinkets.


I find it amusing to read all the "recycle, upcycle, repurpose" trends out there today. Like this is such a new idea.  Creative and thrifty women have been doing this kind of thing since... at least 1970, right?!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I bought that same nested toy for my son in about 1972 in a shop called "The Hand of Man," in Long Beach, CA. Then we lost it in a robbery. Yep the thief liked it too. If you want to sell yours, I would be interested.

    ReplyDelete